Monday, March 27, 2017

The people make the party: lesson #4 from a Mexican fiesta


Related image
I have thrown exactly one authentic Mexican fiesta in my life.  What an incredible experience! Upon reflection of this party of a lifetime, I realize that the experience left me with several life lessons that I carry with me even to this day, over 20 years later.

Lesson #4- The people make the party

In recent years the word "partying" has receive some bad press.  It often refers to wild, out of control raves, which often include excessive alcohol, various forms of illegal substances and generally dangerous behavior.  In my mind these kinds of unhealthy elements actually detract from the happiness, health and fond memories that a good party would promote.

When I say "partying," I am talking about a genuine, joyful celebration.  I found that in Mexico it did not take much money or time to bring about these kinds of memorable festivities.  In fact, no amount of time, money, food or decorations could have created the desired effects.

A party is only as good as the people involved.  The joy with which my friends in Mexico helped prepare food, make piƱatas, decorate, and prepare entertainment (none of which I could have even begun to do on my own) laid a great foundation for this experience.  Even more important than the physical elements, the lively and genuine interactions between the guests is what best defined our celebration.

Though everything looked, tasted and sounded fantastic, that only enhanced the most important things. It occurred to me that we could have had a great time together even without the all of the visual and culinary "extras."

Getting together to celebrate our life and relationships is not just a good idea.  It's a Scriptural command.  Hebrews 10:24-25 says this:

"Let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds,  not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another...."

As the original recipients of this command, the Hebrews (or Jews) were no strangers to a party.  The book of Leviticus outlines several major Jewish festivals to celebrate their godly heritage throughout the year, all coming at the instruction and ordination of the LORD.  The festivals varied in length and purpose, but every one of them had two elements in common: they all involved a gathering of people and they all celebrated some aspect of God's love and provision for them.  Several of these festivals lasted days, and even weeks.

So in a sense, God is the original party animal.  Worship in it's best and purest sense is a celebration of who God is and what God does.  While worship can and should sometimes happen privately, there can also be something so exciting and fun about sharing our lives with one another in encouraging and upbeat ways.

It saddens me to know how many people view Sunday services as an unpleasant obligation, a bore and a stress.  To me it's one of the very best times of my week.  It's not just about the music or the sermon (though I love both).  If that was all I needed, I could simply stay home and dial up recorded sermons and worship Youtube.

The party is about the people.  I refer to more that just Sunday morning formalities.  The celebration might include a midweek small group, a visit to a friend, coffee with a friend, an uplifting personal message on Facebook or an encouraging phone call.

I confess that I all too often get caught up in the wrong kind of a party, a pity party over all of the physical things that I do no possess. But God has reminded me of just how richly blessed we are in friends and family who serve as daily reminders of God's love and provision.  Truly, the more often I choose to celebrate God's gifts with loved ones, the more reasons I find to keep the party going.

No comments:

Post a Comment